Best built for long life, the MD6240 has heavy-duty structures. The mast, integral A-frame, and mainframe are durable providing a strong platform needed for drilling in harsh conditions. The MD6240 is equipped to perform in challenging environments and provides high availability, positively impacting your bottom line. All welded structures comply with AWS 14.3 welding standard. The welded structures are inspected after the manufacturing process providing reliable, maintenance free and long lasting platform for the drill.
- The mast is made of heavy-duty ASTM A500 Grade B steel tubing on all four chords and cross members, which creates a torsionally strong mast structure and reduces the material fatigue.
- All mast structures are designed with double-cut lacing in high stress areas to prevent cracking and assure long life.
- The mast can be raised or lowered with full pipe rack and full drill string on the rotary head, in less than 40 seconds.
- The A-frame is an integral extension of the mainframe, providing a strong, low maintenance design.
- The mainframe design assures structural integrity. The main rails, made of ASTM A500, Grade B, rectangular steel tubing, are heavily cross-braced and reinforced in high stress areas.
- Three point oscillating suspension allows the drill to negotiate rugged, uneven terrain without transferring excessive torsional forces to the mainframe, and allows continued stability while tramming between holes.
- Tram speed is 2.0 km/h (1.25 mph). Gradeability is 48% with the mast down.
- Ground clearance: 610 mm (24 in)
- Bearing ground pressure: 0.83 bar (12 psi)
To achieve low cost, high efficiency drilling, your power group configuration is selected to match the needs of your specific geology and site conditions. We have numerous configurations for low pressure rotary drilling or high pressure DTH hammer drilling. Power groups are arranged in-line for easy access, from both sides, to the engine, compressor, hydraulic pumps, plumbing and other components, which translates into safer serviceability and lower maintenance cost.
To match your application demands, MD6240 has three choices for engine sizes. Cat C27 ACERT™ @ 597 and 652 kW (800 and 875 hp) @ 2,100 rpm. Each package includes:
- Fuel-filtration package to overcome harsh mining environments
- Pre-lube system for extra engine protection
- Dry type inlet air cleaner with safety elements
- Heavy duty muffler and muffler guard
- Manifold blanket covers
- Set of batteries
- Coolant conditioner
- Fuel tank
For efficient flushing of cuttings and dust out of the bore hole, the air compressor delivers the right amount of bailing air based on hole diameter, depth and material density. Air-on-demand control system regulates air intake to match the amount of compressed air being used.
Standard Compressor is Low Pressure for Rotary Drilling Mode
- Single stage, positive displacement, oil-flooded, single-stage screw type compressor
- Discharge air flow (sea level) 48 m3/min (1,700 ft3/min)
- Maximum operating pressure 6.9 bar (100 psi)
Optional Compressor is High Pressure for DTH Hammer Drilling Mode
- High pressure, oil-flooded, two-stage screw type
- Discharge air flow (sea level) 33 m3/min (1,150 ft3/min); 38 m3/min (1,350 ft3/min); 43 m3/min (1,500 ft3/min)
- Maximum operating pressure 10.3/24.1/34.5 bar (150/350/500 psi)
For ample capability, our cooler systems are designed to assure unrestricted airflow and reduce excessive operating heat, which extends life of engine, compressor, and hydraulic components.
- Rated up to 52° C (125° F) ambient cooling capacity
- Split cooler
- Engine radiator
- Charge air cooler section
- Hydraulic oil cooler section
- Compressor oil section
- Replaceable cores
- Fan arrangements are suited to the powertrain configuration
- Mounted on an isolated skid to reduce vibration, limit load transfer and noise
The pump drive is powered by direct input from the engine using a maintenance free rubber mounted coupling. The result is a longer power train life as less shock is absorbed. The coupling housing is fully enclosed with a hinged access hatch for visual inspection.
Hydraulic Pump Drive
- Two axial piston pumps for the pulldown and rotation systems or track propel functions.
- One axial piston pump for the cooling fans and auxiliary functions.
- Two gear pumps supply power to the dust collector and water injection systems.
To assure long life, all mast structures are designed with double-cut lacing in high stress areas. There are several application-specific masts to choose from.
Pulldown and Hoist
A single, double-acting cylinder, cable pull-down system produces 22 680 kg (50,000 lb) of pull-down force and 22 680 kg (50,000 lb) of hoist force. The cylinder rod is fixed on both ends with a moving barrel, providing high efficiency and reducing feed system wear and maintenance.
- One variable displacement axial piston pump in an open loop system
- Bit load up to 24 000 kg (52,911 lb)
- Feed and hoist speed 0-39 m/min (0-129 ft/min)
- Weight on bit feed hold back control system
The MD6240 drill is designed with mast cables instead of chains. Cables have a predictable wear profile and do not unexpectedly fail. They can be repaired quickly and easily, and they absorb and evenly dissipate vibrations, which promotes longer mast life.
A cable auto-tensioner ensures maximum cable service life with minimum maintenance by automatically keeping cables tight via a series of hydraulic cylinders applying constant pressure. Cables for the MD6420 are 2.85 cm (1 in) in diameter, and rated at 62.8 tons (138,450 lb) nominal strength.
Rotary Drill Head (1)
Achieve optimal penetration rates with the ability to select the most suitable rotation speed for your application. One fixed displacement, axial piston motor provides 139 kW (186 hp) with rotation speed 0-220 rpm. Torque reaches 13 015 N∙m (9,600 lbf-ft) with variable control. Heavy-duty, reliable drill head includes a 140 mm (5.5 in) bull-shaft connection to the drill string and has adjustable steel guides with replaceable pads for even travel on main chords. The long head carriage design ensures the rotary head rides the main chords evenly.
The MD6240 can drill in angles up to 25 degrees (in 5 degree increments). Dual mast locks are located above the deck and hydraulically operated dust curtains are available for angle drilling.
Pipe Rack Carousel (2)
The hydraulically operated carousel-type pipe changer is located outside of the mast structure, and all functions are controlled from a console in operator’s cab, which assures efficient and safe drill string changes and storage. The carousel provides automatic indexing of drill pipes in relation to the rotary head.
- Pipe diameter 114-178 mm (4.5-7.0 in)
- 12 m (39 ft) mast arrangement 4 pods; 10.67 m (35 ft) long pipe
- 15 m (49 ft) mast arrangement 2 pods; 15.24 m (50 ft)/two 7.62 m (25 ft) long pipe
To help you align the pipe string while adding or detaching pipes, or in angle hole drilling, our automatic pipe positioner, hydraulically activates to guide the pipe straight through the deck bushing.
Hammer/Tricone Pipe Rack
To accommodate differences in rock consistency, a patented Hammer/Tricone Pipe Rack allows for rapid conversion between tricone drilling for soft drilling conditions, and DTH drilling, for hard rock, in less than five minutes.
Hydraulically Operated Break Out and Deck Wrench (3)
Adding to your productivity the HOBO works in concert with a highly effective deck wrench.
- Mounted on the outside mast structure
- Four-cylinder system for swing-adjust-rotate-clamp
- Operated from inside the cab
To assist in safe and efficient handling of drill pipes, bits, subs and other heavy accessories, there is an auxiliary winch system with capacity to hoist up to 1587 kg (3,500 lb) capacity. Operation is from the operator’s cab, or optional remote control.
For efficient dust collection MD6240 has a dust collector rated at 127 m3/min (4,500 ft3/min) and separate water injection system. Both dry and water injection systems can be mounted on the same drill.
- Water injection system options: – Three tanks totaling 1271 L (336 gal) mounted under the front deck or – One tank 1514 L (400 gal) mounted on top-deck (mounted in place of Dry Dust Collector)
With the largest dust chamber in the industry, the MD6240 has a total enclosed area of 4.17 m2 (44.89 ft2) and is surrounded by heavy rubber curtains. This provides ample space for dust containment while deep hole drilling and the resulting cutting piles. Optional hydraulic front and rear dust curtain lifters are available to ensure cuttings are not pulled back into the hole while tramming from point to point on the blast pattern.
- Material 6 mm (0.25 in) rubber nylon reinforced
- Split for excess with 305 mm (12 in) overlap
- Dust deflector is a natural rubber seal, 13 mm (0.5 in) thick, 356 mm (14 in) diameter
Safe and Effortless Operation
To limit operator fatigue the MD6240 controls are ergonomic. The FOPS certified cab has tinted safety glass windows and a closed circuit camera system for 360° visibility. Two heavy-duty doors provide quick egress to the drill table or the main deck.
Additional Safety Features
- 45° control console, in relation to deck, assures good overview of drill table
- Closed-circuit camera system
- Two heavy-duty swing doors for convenient cab access
- Low sound and vibration levels
- Emergency ingress/egress
- Multiple engine stops
- Four leveling jacks ensure a minimum of three machine points of ground contact at all times
- The pipe handling system is designed so breaker plate is located at operator’s eye level
- All auxiliary functions are controlled by fingertip toggle switches and marked with “no language barrier” symbols describing each function
- Fixed folding trainers seat
- Window washers and wipers
Spacious and Quiet Cab
For comfortable and efficient operation, the MD6240 cab offers operators 3 m2 (32 ft2) of floor area allowing ample room with a swiveling operator’s seat equipped with armrests and a headrest. The ergonomic console provides well organized controls labeled with international ISO symbols for each function. The cab is shock mounted and insulated for quiet operation below 80 dB(A). Heated and air conditioned, operator comfort is attainable in all climates.
Supported by World-class Cat Dealer Network
With the support of the Cat global dealer network, you can rely on unmatched service, integrated solutions, after-sales support, fast and efficient parts fulfillment, and world-class remanufacturing capabilities. The Cat Parts and Service Network offers you the most comprehensive product support system in the industry. Everything we do is designed to keep you up and running longer, for less. Cat authorized and certified mechanics are trained in the latest diagnostic equipment, tools and service techniques. They know exactly what to look for, and exactly how to fix it. One of the prime cornerstones of the Cat Parts and Service Network is availability. No matter where you are, no matter what day of the week or time of day, Cat Parts and Service is never far away. At each location, you have instant access to everything from information on maintenance options, engine selection and repair, to a full range of genuine Cat Parts and Remanufactured components. The fact is, a vast majority of the parts you'll ever need are on hand at your local dealer, right off the shelf. And in the rare event a specific part is not on hand, your dealer can usually get it to you within 24 hours, utilizing our computerized parts location network. From helping you choose the right machine to knowledgeable ongoing support, Cat dealers provide the best in sales and service.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts
- Best-in-class parts availability
- Operator training to help boost your production
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts
Large Main Deck
The MD6240 large deck (front and rear) plus wide walkways assure a safe operating area and more efficient maintenance. Access to walkways are on both sides of drill for quick access to all major components for daily pre-start checks, preventive maintenance and adjustments. The stationary drill table/rear deck (mast/cab area) provides access to the mast area and to the main deck during all drilling modes, including angle drilling. Immediate access to the power group including the engine, compressor, hydraulic pumps, plumbing and other components, translates into better serviceability and lower maintenance cost.
We know keeping operators safe is a priority. Throughout Cat Drills you will find features that are designed to do just that.
- Operators are comfortable, more productive and safe in our spacious and quiet cab
- Cab is FOPS certified with tinted safety glass windows and a closed circuit camera system for 360° visibility
- The Carousel Pipe Rack is controlled from inside of operator’s cab
- A hydraulic break out wrench and deck wrench assist in breaking thread connections from inside the cab
- Three point oscillating suspension allows the drill to negotiate rugged, uneven terrain without transferring excessive torsional forces to the mainframe, and allows continued stability while tramming between holes
- Power groups are arranged in-line for easy access, from both sides, to the engine, compressor, hydraulic pumps, plumbing and other components, which translates into safer serviceability
- Mast uses cables which have a predictable wear profile and do not unexpectedly fail like chains
- An auxiliary winch system for up to 1587 kg (3,500 lb) capacity, assists in handling of drill pipes, bits, subs and other heavy accessories and equipment from the cab or via remote control
- Two heavy-duty doors provide quick ingress/egress from cab to the drill table or the main deck
- Ground-level machine isolation and lock out box
- Multiple engine stops
- Four leveling jacks ensure a minimum of three machine points of ground contact at all times
Sustainable development for Caterpillar means leveraging technology and innovation to increase efficiency and productivity with less impact on the environment and helping you do the same - enabling your businesses to become more productive by providing products, services and solutions that use resources more efficiently.
Engines with Advanced Technology
Cat ACERT engines with advanced technology have lower emissions without compromising performance or fuel efficiency.
Mast structure is designed for long life and is a base for major overhauling and continued use after standard operational life. Jack casing structures, A-frame/mast pivot and the deck are integrally welded to the mainframe assuring a sound structural base with the ability to be rebuilt.
Fuel savings is achieved with our variable speed fans that match cooling demand. The coolers have replaceable cores. The pump drive is powered by direct input from the engine using a maintenance free rubber mounted coupling. The result is a longer power train life as less shock is absorbed.